Friday, September 17, 2010

Trading in the Backpacking Trail for All-You-Can-Drink Margaritas.

After my adventures with whale sharks, I bused my way to Playa del Carmen, where I would meet Anita. After two months, I was even more excited to see her than I had been to swim with whales (she paid me to write that last bit). For a week I would trade in the backpacker trail for the all-inclusive life. Needless to say, it was quite an amusing scene when I got out of the taxi at our 4-star resort, with a tshirt sleeve holding my hair back, bracelets hanging from my wrist, a conch shell necklace around my neck, and a dirty 50L backpack on. Plus, I don't think I had showered in a few days at that point. The exact words that came out of the bell-boy's mouth, who opened the cab door for me, were: "So... You are staying here?" I had to try my best not to laugh. I sort of wish someone has caught it on video. The desk staff did a much better job at holding back their surprise when I checked in, and surprisingly didn't make me jump through hoops to verify our reservation. They probably breathed a sigh of relief when I later walked back through the lobby sporting a crisp polo and flip flops.

The week essentially consisted of the pool, the beach, and the bar. However, I had promised Anita we could do a ruins tour, and so we set off on my second trip to Chichen Itza. I already documented the ruins in an earlier post, so instead I will simply sum up our week in pictures. Enjoy.







The young archaeologist at work. She later told me that the stone pattern indicated the presence of dinosaurs at the site. Maybe that's what wiped out the Mayan civilization.

One of the alledged dinosaurs that terrorized the Yucatan Peninsula.


Eat your heart out! (No seriously though, they did that stuff...)


To the left of the circle in the middle is a dude's severred head. That's what happens to the captain of the winning team. Maybe someone needs to tell the Leafs that the NHL has long since banned this tradition...

1 comment: